Shoe collaborations have been letting me down lately so I was trying not to be so fool hardy as to get carried away the next time I heard of a new release and then VANS X TOY STORY happen. For adults of my generation it was a pervasive force in our childhood with it’s huge movie debut and subsequent sequels. It put Pixar on the map in my child brain like nothing but that parent & baby lamp cartoon could. While it’s not like Justin Beiber or Harry Potter when it comes to taking over a life, my son wears Buzz Lightyear PJs having never watched the movie. The fandom is real and somewhere in my brain or my heart, a pilot light is still on waiting for this moment.
Your order has been shipped! Have sweeter words ever been written in e-mail format? While the entire universe seem to suddenly be getting around in Adidas superstars, I find myself looking for something different. Ever the sneaker fan, I would get around in kicks all day long if I could, I just wish everyone didn’t hop on the same specific bandwagon at the same time.
Perhaps not wanting the supers because everyone has them is a “reverse 90’s Nike air jordan hipster complex” (In which case I’ll admit it) or perhaps the world needs to find another fun sneaker to fee cute and comfortable in. For that I turned to Reebok‘s collaboration with FACE cosmetics stockholm. Never one to walk away from a beautiful pastel, this little beauty sat in my UO/Glue store (for those playing at home) shopping cart for a very long time.
Finally my “screw it let’s do it!” shopping attitude took over and in a frenzy I pressed the check out button. At $100 they are reasonably priced and there are options for the less pastel appreciating shoppers among you. For me it was always a uneven competition between lilac ice, opal and dessert stone. Now the only thing left is to wait by the door longingly and hide my purchase from the hubby while simultaneously expecting him to notice my new shoes. What this ole thing?
Our love for Adidas is nothing new. In fact you’ve heard about them from us here & here resulting in a prompt raid of our nearest store for the latest collection. Recently we were given the opportunity to preview the lastest from both Adidas Originals and Adidas x Stella McCartney. Like most design collaborations, there’s no shortage of thrills here but rarely do you find such a stark contrast in design within one brand. Like chalk and cheese or any other comparison you want to make, the difference between these two collections is almost palpable.
Adidas Originals is you slightly crazy older cousin who is too cool for school. You want to be like them, and your parents think they’re a bad influence. Unafraid of color, contrast and bold shapes, it’s a fun fair of attire put perfectly together. Fitted with monochrome Adidas classic tees and jumpers you can dial the crazy down whenever you like for the daily run around, but it’s nice to know the lunacy is available to you. The best thing is, most of it is unisex (or “boyfriend style” if you like) with the inclusion wet weather fancies like these bright anoraks which would come in handy right now in our neck of the woods. The east-coast of Australia has been mighty soggy lately.
The Stella collection on the other hand is more like a fairy dream in which you are not only toned and athletic but look like a glowing model while exercising. The perfect motivation for fitness, these vibrant prints, metallics, cute black shorts and sheer paneling was made to be seen ladies! Built with you in mind you get comfort without compromise and finally,athletic shoes in colors outside of the “pink is for girls” spectrum! Speaking of the shoes, they’re now equipped with more technology that it probably took for the moon landing. The styrofoam looking thing the soles of your shoes are made of is called TPU. Give them a push and you’ll see the difference it’s going to make on your running performance while cushioning impact on your joints.
For those of you confined to a gym because of the weather or your preference, There are also cute matching shoes and gym bags in the latest range which I absolutely love. Can I just pretend I’m going to the gym to wear these? The tennis line is also a relatively new addition. Dipping into the past and bringing it forward, the flirty white skirts, tops and dresses will have you challnging contenders on the court like a pro…after that it’s all up to your skill. We can only promise confident cockiness on your part because of your new threads which is a lot more than you’ll get from those old track pants you’re currently sporting.
All these items are set to drop from now until August so make sure that you not only check it out, but keep on checking in, because I’m fairly certain some of these pieces will disappear as quickly as they appeared. Are you feeling Original or Stella?
Roses and chocolates for a girl on valentine”s day is a cliche, but why are there no cliche”s for the gifts for him? My money is on them being far too difficult to buy for, or simply showering them with everything you could think of at Christmas (as is often the case with me). Today we give you a few ideas to make V day a little bit easier.
1. While you don”t mind a trip to the beach, the words “budgee smugglers” insight fear into the core of your being. The faded boardies of yesteryear are a great improvement but just like most men wait for holes to appear in their underwear, you”ll probably find those ratty things are there to stay. Using V day to push our own agenda? Never! have the cutest summery board shorts that you will love to look at.
2. While we have things like Popbasic, or Glossy box for gifts that keep on giving, there”s not been much for the boys. Enter Svbscription; a service that delivers curated luxury items right to his doorstep and covers design, culture, technology ,apparel as well as entertainment. You”ll never have to think again, and how well rounded he will be.
3. You can deny it all you like but at the end of the day you”re only lieing to yourself. Geek chic is in so why not embrace the nerdy side of our men and what says geek chic better than a gold Casio . Next time you need to know what the reduced sale price is of anything, the answer lies at your man”s wrist.
4. All trends seem to merge into one sometimes and individuality gets lefts at the way side. Palo have awesome collection of shades with wooden frames that are not only perfect for protecting your eyes but are a conversation starter. Lets hope this reduces the number of sports related conversations you have to take part in at BBQs.
5. We love our sneakers and it seems so do our men so for an item they can”t always splurge on, why not go crazy. Adidas Originals x Jeremy Scott is a favorite go to collection of men”s sneakers, high tops and other crazy things. While you”re there, pick something up for yourself maybe?
6. You know that guy in the ad that stares at your new shoes with the appropriate level of joy and enthusiasm while making you your favorite chocolate cake? Yeah he doesn”t exist. Let get real and find other ways to coax him into the kitchen. A nespresso machine might just get him across the line and since he”s making you delicious cuppachino”s too, the coffee breath just cancels out.
7.I don”t know about you but I love buying new threads and not necessarily for myself. This faded blue denim shirt by Muchacho is just the thing for a smart casual look that might be missing for his wardrobe. While it”s not a brand we”ve previously explored, the colour palette is great with a combo of effortless basics that could suit most wardrobes.
8. We alluded to the old underwear with the holes in them? Well lets just nip that one in the bud too with some Mitch Dowd boxers that cater to all personal support preferences. Mitch Dowd not only provides the standard navy striped number that has been running the circuit for centuries (or so it seems), but there are cute beach themed designs and a collab with DC Comics that we just can”t get enough of. Available or in Myer stores.